So, we know it was the nickname for a famous courtesan and we know it is the name of a game that is similar to ten pin bowling. But there is a third item in the Skittles series… What we here in the UK call sweets, and what people in the US call candies.
So here are some Skittles facts that you may not have known:
1. Skittles are made by Wrigley, an American company, now part of Mars.
2. Skittles were launched in the US in 1979 (although not made there until 1982).
3. The original flavours were Orange, Lemon, Lime, Grape and Strawberry.
4. In the UK, bags of Skittles come in three flavours: Fruits, Crazy Sours and Confused. The packs are either Fruits or Crazy Sours.
5. There are 404kcal per 100g of Skittles. Oops!
6. In the States there are oodles more flavours available, including Tropical, Wild Berry and Sour.
7. More than 200 million Skittles are manufactured on a daily basis.
8. New varieties of Skittles were introduced in the US – Tropical Skittles (eg Banana, Kiwi, Mango) and Wild Berry (Raspberry, Strawberry and Wild Cherry).
9. In 2004 in the States, Skittles Bubble Gum was launched.
10. If you want more flavours, best you go to the States!
©Susan Shirley 2013